Roscigno is a town of about 860 inhabitants, located in the National Park of CilentoVallo di Diano and Alburni, in the province of Salerno, now divided between Old Roscigno and New Roscigno.
The town’s name derives from the dialect “russignuolo”, namely nightingale. Historically derived from Russino, it is cited in documents of 1086, kept at the Abbey of the Santissima Trinità in Cava de’ Tirreni.
OLD ROSCIGNO – An open-air museum
Old Roscigno is called the “Pompeii” of the ‘900 and has over 20,000 tourists a year. The village is completely deserted due to several landslides that occurred over time. The fragility of the land, in fact, has unfortunately always forced its inhabitants to “nomadism”. Among the various landslides, which is supposed to have hit the town, there have been at least three documented: one in the XVI century, another in the 1770s and the last around the year 1902. In fact, two ordinances by the Civil engineering department forced the population to transfer to the present location of the town in New Roscigno. Forced migration from low areas of the old town to the location named “Piano” created the myth of the “town that walks”. This ancient village has been declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco.
In the old town there are the old houses of the farmers, the old shops, the smithy, the cellars, the stables and the elegant eighteenth-century Church of St. Nicola of Bari which is now deconsecrated. The ghostly, mysterious and sad atmosphere of the town has made it the setting of several films which are discreetly known to the public.
The renovated rooms of the former parsonage and the old City Hall houses the Museum of civilization, which exhibits evidence of life and the working tools of the people of Roscigno: the exhibition is set up in six rooms, each dedicated to the reproduction of a work cycle (viticulture, olive growing, breeding and cheese production, the cycle of wheat, wool processing, the production of bread, the home).