In the hill area of Roscigno, nearly 2 km from the towncenter, at the southwestern end of the Alburni mountains, there is Mount Pruno, which reaches 879 meters above sea level. The three longitudinal heights that slope gently make it immediately recognizableRoscigno territory from any side it is reached.
On its summit there is an extensive plain reached through an ancient path, called Casalicchio, which connects the village of Old Roscigno, before merging with another path running from New Roscigno, passing a picnic area behind the Casalicchio fountain. This path, surveyed and included in the network of paths of the National Park of Cilento andVallo di Diano with the n. 518, is used by both local and international tourism.
On the plain there is the archaeological site of Monte Pruno, a large Lucano and PuglieseEnotrio settlement, dating from the VII to the III century AC.
The interest in the Monte Pruno archaeological site was born in 1928 thanks to two doctors in the area, named SerafinoMarmoBellosguardo and Silvio Rescinitiof Roscigno.
Already around the ’20s, in fact, fragments of amber were recovered dating from the VI and V centuries BC. In a campaign of archaeological excavations conducted in 1938 a princely tomb was found, with a rich array of burial goods, currently preserved in the Provincial Archaeological Museum of Salerno.
Since the ’80s tombs have been identified dating to the mid VI century BC and a second rich tomb from the early V century BC.
In the IV century BC a wall was built around the settlement, consisting of scattered houses. It was probably the fortified center which hosted the population scattered over a wide area in the event of danger. Other burials (including a female tomb from the mid VI century BC) and houses (a large complex in use between the second half of the IV and the half of the III century BC) were found in Cuozzi, about 1 km, on the slopes of the mountain. Shortly downstream a cattle trackstill runs, traditionally known as “trazzeradeglistranieri (foreigners path)”, which was to form the communication route between the coast and the hinterland. The settlements seem to have been abandoned fairly suddenly at the end of the III century BC, probably coinciding with the arrival of the Romans.