History

The small village of Russigno and Ruscigni can be found imprinted in many writings from the medieval period. The name of the town, from the dialect “russignuolo” (nightingale), according to a historical reconstruction derives from Russino, as it appears in the writings of the 1086 kept at the Abbey of SantissimaTrinità in Cava de ‘Tirreni, when the lord of Corneto (CorletoMonforte) gave the church of S. Venere to the Abbey of Cava.
The first settlement in Old Roscigno was formed towards the end of the year one thousand around a Benedictine monastery that was built a mile south from a place called “Piano”. The formation of the first settlements occurred for logistical needs from pastors ofCorletoMonforte, who, tired of walking e the distance (about 4 km) everyday between the current town of Old Roscigno and the medieval old town of CorletoMonforte, they decided to settle near the Benedictine monastery and the church of S. Venere.

DSC05688 DSC05668 DSC05650

 

 

 

 

 

The year 1515 is a pivotal year in the history of the community of Roscigno it was a feud of San Severino as it became independent, for its history and its final administrative separation from the Municipality of CorletoMonforte. The small community of Roscigno changed hands and reaches its full autonomy with the purchase by the feudal lord Michele Soria for the sum of 15,000 ducats for  hills and mountains ranging from the“Difese di Galdo” and the “Costa del Monte”to the “Cellino” and to the “Serricelle”.
The ancient village of Old Roscigno – the so-called “Pompeii” of the ‘900 was declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco – cursed by a landslide and betrayed by hundreds of promises, contains important fragments of history. In some houses you can even get to see the rooms with furniture, tools and objects left since 1902; there are alleys, the square with a fountain, the fountain; the cottages, courtyards and palaces with their stone portals. We find the peasants’ houses, the old shops, the smithy, the cellars, stables. Finally we find thenow deconsecrated eighteenth century Church of St. Nicola of Bari, elegant, with three aisles, where you can still appreciate a wooden plank in perfect shape.